Insurance & Self-Insurance
Insurance and self-insurance pools have unique challenges, including:
- Uncertainty of claims amounts and timing
- Premium cycles that require careful cash management
- Cyclical swings in reinsurance availability and costs
- Strong price competition
- Coordination among internal management and outside actuaries, auditors, state regulators, and rating agencies
- Need for capital preservation during periods of market volatility
- Desire to simplify the investment process and minimize administrative overhead
With these objectives and challenges in mind, our asset management group helps insurance and self-insurance clients professionally manage diversified portfolios that are tailored to their individual needs. We do not believe that “one size fits all.” Instead, our strategies are customized to each client’s lines of business, balance sheet and business goals.
As of December 31, 2016, our asset management group managed more than $4.3 billion for insurance and self-insurance clients across the nation using our fixed-income and multi-asset class management strategies.
Investment strategies are customized according to the distinct return objectives and risk tolerance of the self-insurance pool, and can include a combination of the asset management group’s managed portfolio solutions—from cash management and tailored fixed-income portfolios to multi-asset class management approaches (which can include fixed-income, equity, global, and alternative investments).